Since the Madison Historical Society was founded in 1917, its mission has been to collect, preserve, and interpret artifacts and information that illustrate Madison’s rich cultural history. In its effort to encourage broad public engagement, the Society fulfills this mission through exhibits, educational programs, publications, and events for all ages.
In celebrating our common past experiences and nurturing a sense of community
among the citizens of Madison, the Madison Historical Society recognizes its responsibility
to link the past with the present and the future.
We aspire to:
- Make history personal, intimate, and meaningful
- Protect the historic character of Madison by being good stewards of the past
- Celebrate the elements of Madison’s cultural history that create and bind our community
- Enhance the understanding of our town’s past and its connection to the present
- Present public programs that nurture a greater appreciation of history.
History of the MHS
Madison’s Heritage: Historical Sketches of Madison, Connecticut tells the charming story of the founding of the Madison Historical Society. In the years 1917 and 1918, during and shortly after the First World War, the idea for the Society was sparked by “a fierce fire of enthusiasm.” Witnesses to its sudden presence on the social and cultural scene of Madison say that it evolved from a single comment.
One afternoon in August 1917, George Wilcox, a prominent Madison resident, stopped for his usual daily visit with his neighbors in the village, and Civil War veteran John Henry Meigs, passing by in his buggy, returned to greet them. The gentlemen reportedly exchanged tales of “early times, boyish pranks, and school days.” Upon leaving, Meigs mentioned what a delight it had been to be so long at conversation without a single mention of the war.
From that chance remark, George Wilcox began to form notions of a society that would celebrate and commemorate the lively history of Madison. Just a week later, invitations were sent to thirty to forty townspeople who might be interested in such a group. Miss Elizabeth Todd Nash offered her home for the first meeting, which had just one by-law: topics such as “War, Work, and Worries” were forbidden for the evening.
The festivities, which lasted until after midnight, were so successful that Nash approached Wilcox with the idea that the meetings might be held weekly. Further, she suggested that the old stories might be recorded for the preservation of history. Wilcox agreed, and once again invitations were sent to people who might enjoy such an endeavor. Soon, a regular meeting place was established at the Chapel next to the present-day Memorial Town Hall, and participants began to form rules and offer membership enrollments.
Weeks later, more than one hundred charter members had formed the Madison Historical Society. With surprising swiftness, the Society then secured a building to call its own. Within the Society's first year, Mr. Nathan Bushnell offered the use of his old family home in exchange for some repairs and the payment of its taxes. By the second summer, the Society had purchased the home. Before long, generous members had repaired it and outfitted it with donated heirlooms. Together they created a period house that could open its doors to visitors – the Allis-Bushnell House.
In later decades, the organization worked to save Lee's Academy--Madison's first high school--from conversion to a saloon. They first arranged its move to a position of honor on the Madison town green. Then they purchased it outright from the Town. During the 1950s and 1960s, the Society focused its efforts on the development of its collection. It also undertook further restoration of the Allis-Bushnell House and established its status as a nonprofit organization. After painstaking restorations in 1975, the Allis-Bushnell House was dedicated in August 1976 as a museum of the history and heritage of Madison.
In the 21st century, the MHS has re-envisioned its role in town life. It has made extensive efforts to increase both its presence and its educational outreach. In 2010 it began to restore Lee's Academy, to which it had moved its administrative offices. That work, aided by generous grants and donations, was completed in 2012. In 2013, work began to preserve and protect the Allis-Bushnell House, where the Society had its roots. The MHS's vision statement, crafted in 2012, reflects the Society's commitment to contribute to a greater appreciation of Madison's distinctive cultural history. Committed to public education that nurtures and sustains a sense of community, the MHS links the past to present and future citizens.
Board of Trustees
The Madison Historical Society is governed by a Board of Trustees. They are responsible for the organization's activities and the safekeeping of the Society’s properties and collections. The Board meets monthly at Lee's Academy.
VICE PRESIDENT/WEBSITE CHAIR
FREDERICK LEE LECTURES CO-CHAIR
FREDERICK LEE LECTURES CO-CHAIR/NOMINATING
BOOK GROUP CHAIR/ANTIQUES FAIR CHAIR
TOUR OF REMARKABLE HOMES CHAIR